Available in English.
The biggest danger that people face in outdoor survival situations is being unprepared. Accordingly, this online course, which includes interviews with experts on various aspects of outdoor survival, provides information that will assist you to handle most situations that you may encounter in the outdoors when help isn’t just around the corner.
What you should know
Please note: We recommend using Google Chrome for this video-based course, as the videos will not play using Safari.
- Responding appropriately to encounters with cougars, moose, elk, wolves, or snakes in the wild
- Minimizing and treating bites and stings from wood ticks, mosquitoes, and bees
- Bear awareness
- Physical differences and general characteristics of bears
- Bear behaviour and body language
- Food sources
- How to store food in a campsite
- Hunting, camping, and travelling safely in bear country
- Avoiding bear encounters
- Recognizing and reacting to defensive and non-defensive attacks
- When and how to play dead
- Using and handling bear spray
- Bear bangers
- Reducing exposure to Lyme disease
- Building emergency shelters in winter and summer months
- Reacting to lightning
- Staying safe around trees during normal and high-wind situations
- Signalling for help
- Making water safe for drinking
- Preventing hypothermia and frostbite