Senior Project Manager
Reports to: CEO, National Office
Direct Reports: None
Location: Ottawa, ON (hybrid available)
Status: Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: Immediate
Who We Are
St. John Ambulance (SJA) is a federation of charitable organizations that operate in all provinces and territories of Canada and is affiliated internationally with the Order of St. John which conducts charitable activities in over 40 countries worldwide. Operating in Canada since 1883, SJA’s mission is to enable people to improve their health, safety, and quality of life through training, education, and service to the community.
In Canada, St. John Ambulance is a federated organization with eleven (11) independently incorporated entities, including the National Office and ten (10) provincial/territorial establishments (i.e., Councils). The Senior Project Manager will report to the National Office and provide project related support services and national leadership to the Councils across Canada.
The newly created Senior Project Manager position will play a crucial role in ensuring effective coordination, communication, and project management across SJA’s National Projects.
National Projects are large, time-based projects designed to develop, maintain, or sustain a specific component of an SJA business line, such as /IT, Sales and Marketing, Training, Community Programs, etc. National Projects directly support the National Office and/or the larger pan-Canadian group of SJA Councils. In collaboration with senior leadership and national Steering Committees (i.e., functional owners of National Projects), the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for developing and overseeing project plans, project coordination, stakeholder engagement, change and risk management, resource allocation, and reporting & documentation. Accountability for National Projects resides with their functional owners.
This role requires a strategic thinker with strong organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills, as well as a solid understanding of the organization's federated structure.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
In collaboration with senior leadership and national Steering Committee leads, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that National Projects receive the necessary attention and resources to ensure their success. General responsibilities include:
- Supporting the development of the business case to authorize the project.
- Developing the project charter, project plan, communication plan, schedule plan, risk management plan, quality control plan, and budget plan
- Managing the schedule, communications, quality control, risks, stakeholders, and project budget
- Coordinating staff resources
- Developing national change management principles as appropriate
- Reporting on project KPIs, success criteria, risks, overall status, and post-mortem
- Engaging with stakeholders to reduce gaps in communication and mitigate risks.
Responsibilities may also include:
- Supporting the creation of RFI/RFP’s
- Managing project vendors
- Hiring/overseeing internal contractors (short-term project resources)
- Conflict resolution.
- Post-secondary degree in Information Systems, Business Administration, or other related disciplines
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is strongly preferred
- Proven progressive project management experience
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams and stakeholders
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proficiency in project management software and tools (e.g., Microsoft Project, Asana, or similar)
- Knowledge of best practices in change management, risk management and project governance
- Experience in providing support and making recommendations to senior decision makers
- French language verbal and written skills are highly desirable.
Preference will be given to those with advanced education and experience in project management in a complex, broad stakeholder, and decentralized, decision-making environment.
- Weekly presence in the National Office is required (i.e., multiple days a week)
- Overtime and schedule flexibility may be required from time to time
- Some travel within Canada may be required
- SJA offers a competitive salary, group benefits program and employee pension plan
All candidates to submit their application to email@example.com by February 9, 2024, or sooner.
While SJA thanks all candidates for their interest, only those candidates whose skills and experience most closely match the position requirements will be contacted and invited for interviews. SJA is an equal Opportunity Employer.